Guidance & Counseling
OHS Guidance & Counseling Team
Counseling Office (509) 826-8531
For Student Records FAX (509) 826-8554
High school juniors and seniors: take steps now to prepare for the future
With all that’s going on in the world, it’s tempting to put off planning for the future. But there are steps you can take now to be ready when the time comes to continue your education.
Class of 2023:
- It’s not too late to apply or change your path. There are many options for college and career training after high school.
- Heading to college in the fall? Remember to send in final transcripts, make deposits, and finalize paperwork. Don't worry, most colleges are being flexible about deadlines.
- Double-check your FAFSA status—you may need to update your taxes or provide additional documents. If you filed a WASFA, check with the financial aid office to make sure your application is complete. And let them know if your family's financial situation has changed.
Class of 2024:
- Start looking into career paths and learn more about what kind of education you may need after high school.
- Senior year is a busy time! Working on application essays is a great way to get started on college applications during remote learning.
- Consider dual credit programs, which allow you to earn high school and college credit at the same time. Students who earn college credit are more likely to graduate high school, enroll in college, and complete college degrees.
Learn more and plan your future on the Washington Student Achievement Council website.
Records Requests for Omak High School Students
Tutoring options available after-school:
- Teachers: check with your teacher and schedule a time to meet; this is the first step for tutoring.
- Academic Tutoring Services:
AFTER SCHOOL TUTORING is offered for students daily in the HS Career Center room A138 with HS Staff member, Charlotte Kyles to help you. Mondays from 2pm - 4pm Tuesday - Friday from 3pm - 4pm.
If you have questions and need the help, don't hesitate to ask for it, talk with your school teachers and your counselors.
Feel free to join Charlotte daily after school for tutoring in the HS career center (room A138).
- Counselor – Lee Morrison (Students last name beginning with A-K)
- Counselor – Evon LaGrou (Students last name beginning with L-Z)
- Athletes -- check in with Athletic Director, Mr. Sackman or parents may call him at (509) 826-8369.
- JOM/Title VII: Available for our Native American students, contact your school counselor listed above
or contact -
Applying for FAFSA
Attention senior students and parents,
All graduating seniors need to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) in order to be considered for scholarships and federal financial aid. Federal aid is distributed on a "first come, first served" basis, so don't wait!
The FAFSA should be filled out as soon as possible after the first of the year. You are able to fill out the FAFSA using an estimated dollar amount for the tax information, then go in after W-2s are received to put in the accurate dollar amounts.
You can access a FAFSA Worksheet at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa.
This worksheet is an example of the questions that will be asked on the FAFSA. This will give you the opportunity to know what documentation you will need to fill out the FAFSA accurately.
The FAFSA website also has a help section to aid in the application process. You can visit the link here: https://studentaid.gov/apply-for-aid/fafsa/filling-out/help.
Financial Aid Bootcamp! April 20 – 21!
Hosted by the Office of the US Department of Education
Do you have questions about filling out the FAFSA?
There are several sessions, including:
Tools for Student Financial Empowerment, a Step-by-Step Guide to Your Federal Financial Aid Process, What’s Next After Receiving an Award Letter
Register Now at https://cvent.me/M8eYRw
Omak High School Graduation Ceremony
Saturday, June 10, 2023
Please check out the scholarship packet each week for new scholarship opportunities. The packet will be updated as new scholarships become available. Applications will be available in the Omak High School Counseling Office and on the district website, unless you are instructed to apply online only. If you have questions regarding scholarships, feel free to contact Lana Smith at (509) 826-8531.
Seniors, if you have been notified that you have received a scholarship award, please let the counseling office staff know. We want to recognize you at graduation and we want to thank the scholarship donors!
Please contact Secretary, Lana Smith at this time for the scholarship packet.
2021 SAT - ACT Test Dates
Please Check Back in January for spring 2021 SAT testing sites.
There will be a School Day SAT April 13th!
Contact Lana at 826-8531 or email@example.com to sign up
|SAT TEST DATES||Registration Deadline|
|March 13||February 12|
|May 8||April 8|
|June 5||May 6|
|ACT TEST DATES||Registration Deadline|
|April 17||March 12|
|June 12||May 7|
|July 17||June 18|
PrepFactory has launched a free service for high school students to use to prepare for the SAT and ACT. PrepFactory offers students a series of tutorial videos and written tips to help them prepare for both tests. After completing a tutorial, students can test themselves in a series of practice questions. Each question set is timed and limited to segments of ten questions at a time. Students can earn badges for completing tutorials or question sets.
Please click on the link to check it out: www.prepfactory.com/invite.